Waverley Gardens Memory Care is the sole centre that has been set up to care for those living with dementia and Alzheimer’s. The Care Centre provides 24-hour supervision and accommodates resident in either private or shared rooms. The residents are overseen by our professional staff who are trained to manage their condition and provide the best comfort and care.
Dementia is an umbrella term to cover a number of specific diseases. From the 100 different types of dementia, the most common are Alzheimer’s disease, Vascular dementia and dementia with Lewy bodies. The current reality is that more of our elderly are being diagnosed with Dementia which is why our home provides specialised care to those with most forms of dementia, those include Alzheimer’s, Vascular, Parkinson related and Korsakaff syndrome among others.
Our staff are trained and kept up to date with the latest developments around dementia;
We are also an affiliate member of Alzheimer’s South Africa
Symptoms of dementia
There is no standard dementia experience – everyone’s journey with dementia is different. The medical knowledge base is growing rapidly as new cases of dementia are being treated.
The most common symptoms of dementia are:
- Progressive and frequent memory loss
- Personality and behaviour change
- Lethargy and withdrawal
- Loss of ability to perform everyday tasks as before
- Changes in language function
- The onset of these symptoms can vary from person to person. Some will start with memory loss, others with personality change, and some will undergo language changes where they cannot find the right words.